I can't believe how simple and delicious this soup is. You can make your own pesto (I have a really excellent pesto recipe on this blog!) or you can just buy a good quality one from the store. By the way it's absolutely delicious with or without the chicken. You decide.
You will need:
- 2 tbsp great extra virgin olive oil -I used Solla Stella from Texas Hill Country
- 2 slices of bacon
- 1 small onion -finely minced
- 1 tbsp butter and 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large baking potato -peeled and cubed into dice that fits on a spoon size
- 2 cloves garlic - minced finely
- 4 oz cannellini beans- rinsed
- 1 litre chicken broth
- 1 chicken breast - sliced finely and tossed in 1 tbsp pesto.
- 1/2 cup small pasta
- 1 tsp chili flakes
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 tbsp pesto
- fresh grated Parmesan to serve with another drizzle of good oil.
Step 1: I like to assemble everything so I don't forget things. I chop and have things ready to go when I start.
Step 2: cook bacon in some olive oil until crispy. Drain and set aside. I drain oil and then start with fresh olive oil for the next step.
Step 3: add a bit more olive oil and butter to saute your onions. Cook for 4-5 minutes and then add potatoes. Toss and cook another 3 minutes until all potatoes are coated .
Step 4: add lots of salt and pepper. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute before adding broth.
Step 5: add your box of chicken broth -if you have homemade even better! and add beans.
Step 6: saute a chicken breast sliced and tossed in a bit of pesto. Add to soup.
Step 7: cook approximately 20 minutes until potatoes are soft. Add pasta shells and chili flakes - cook another 5 minutes. Turn off the heat and add pesto to taste. Adjust salt and pepper if you want more.
If you don't want the chicken just add the bacon back in at the last minute, a drizzle of good oil and a sprinkle of grated Parmesan.
If you like add the cooked chicken along with everything else!