Potato Latkes


What's not to like? They are fried little hash browned potatoes served with apple sauce or add them to your favourite breakfast. 
You will need:
  • 2 russet/baking potatoes
  • 1 small onion (or half a regular sized onion)
  • 1 egg
  • salt/pepper
  • grape seed or vegetable oil for frying
  • applesauce or sour cream

Step 1: peel and grate your potatoes into some cold water. Leave them in the cold water 2-3 minutes to remove some of the starch.


Step 2: grate the onion. Take the onions and the drained potatoes and roll in a towel squeezing out as much of the water as you can.


Step 3: in a bowl add the potatoes, the onion, egg, salt and pepper (be generous but, you can always add salt and pepper again once they are fried)


Step 4: stir potatoes and eggs until combined. Heat oil until it sizzles when you put in a test piece of potato. Hot oil makes them less greasy because they will fry properly. I like these little so I take a handful and squeeze out the liquid again in my hands before piling in a mound in the oil. You will think they will never stick together but they will. I leave them alone until brown around the edges then I flip them and then I flatten them with the spatula. If you fuss with them too much they just fall apart.


Step 5: Once they are almost done I remove them and place them on a baking sheet and sprinkle with a bit more salt and pepper. When they are all fried I pop them in a 350 degree F oven to crisp up and all be ready at once.


Eat them crispy and hot with applesauce (I made mine buy cooking apples and sugar and cinnamon until soft) or you can serve them with sour cream.












Comments

Popular Posts