Filipino Chicken Adobo


 My pal Dan was talking about his favorite foods from the Philippines and Chicken Adobo came up in the conversation! I said "I have never made Chicken Adobo!" His eyes lit up and he described the sweet, sour and rich tastes he remembered growing up. I said "I have to make that!" 

So this one was made with love for Dan! and of course Big Pete! 

This is slow simmered until it thickens and gets all dark and wonderful. It is sweet, sour and tangy. Served piping hot over fragrant Jasmine rice, I promise you will love it!

You will need:
  • 8-10 organic chicken thighs 
  • 4-6 cloves of garlic -chopped fine
  • 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
  • 1/2 soy sauce
  • 3/4 cup coconut palm sugar
  • 1 tsp crushed peppercorns
  • 1 cup canned tomatoes (crushed or pieces)
  • 1 small onion
  • scallions or onion sprouts to serve
  • your favorite rice - I like Jasmine
  • 1 small pork tenderloin chopped in large slices(optional for a Pork & Chicken Adobo version - if you prefer!)


Step 1: I like to clean off some of the big pieces of fat on the thighs and then I cut them in half or quarters. Place in a large bowl.


Step 2: take an onion and lots of garlic and mince finely. This will just disappear in the sauce. Add to chicken. 


Step 3: add your cider (or white) vinegar and soy to the bowl.


Step 4: add the palm sugar or brown sugar if you don't have palm (you can find it in any good grocery store or health food store)


Step 5: you can add canned tomatoes but I had fresh seasonal so I just did a rough chop and threw them in the food processor. Add to the bowl. Add the cracked peppercorns - don't worry you can add lots!


Step 6: marinate for a few hours or overnight.


Step 7: OPTIONAL* you can  also add some pork tenderloin but, I do not add until the last 1/2 hour of cooking. I have chopped into similar sized pieces as the chicken and you can add some of the sauce to it to marinate before adding to the pot.


Step 8: add to a large heavy pot - this is when I bring out the heavy enamelled cast iron Le Crueset.(they are worth every penny by the way!) Turn on medium heat, let come to a boil and then just lower to a steady blip for 3 hours or until the sauce is reduced and the chicken is tender. If you are adding the pork add it in the last 15- 30 minutes because the meat is so tender.


It gets all thick and dark caramelly brown!! My mouth is watering just looking at this picture.


Serve over Jasmine rice and a few onion sprouts or scallions to make it pretty!

The boy could hardly wait to eat a big bowl of it! Big Pete approved!!

I hope Dan liked it too!!










Comments

Popular Posts