You will need:
- 1-2 tsp of butter -softened for greasing the pan
- 3 tbsp dark cocoa - divided
- 1/4 cup mild buttery olive oil - I used a Bozzano from California (do not use anything that says LIGHT - this is poor quality oil)
- 3 oz of your favorite dark chocolate chopped
- 300 grams of whole ricotta cheese -its just over 1 cup if you don't have a scale
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup almond milk (or any kind you like)
- 1/2 tsp orange extract
- 1/2 tsp vanilla paste
- 2 cups ground almonds
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds to top
- whipped cream & berries to serve (if you like! and I do!)
Step 1: pre-heat oven to 375 F. I like to line a 9 inch spring form pan with parchment paper and then butter generously. Using a sieve dust 1 - 1 1/2 tbsp of cocoa powder onto the pan and then tap to get all areas covered with cocoa. Tap out any remainder cocoa to a small plate or piece of wax paper and set aside to be used in the cake later.
Step 2: in a small bowl add the chopped chocolate and the olive oil and melt in microwave for 1 minute. Stir and leave to cool.
Step 3: in a mixer add the ricotta with eggs and mix for 2 minutes until smooth, Scrape down sides at least once. Add the cooled chocolate mixture and sugar and combine for 20 seconds.
Step 4: Add milk, orange extract and vanilla. Mix for 20 seconds until combined.
Step 5: in a small bowl add the ground almonds, remainder of the cocoa, baking powder and stir to combine. Add in 2 batches and stir only to combine.
Step 6: Spread batter into prepared pan, sprinkle sliced almonds on top and bake 55-60 minutes. It will fall slightly when it cools. Let cool in pan and serve warm or completely cooled.