Grilled Beef Tenderloin and Spinach Salad


Don't you just crave a nice steak from time to time? I know everyone likes the marbled rib eyes but, for me there is only one steak. The beef tenderloin. On this day I also had a single chicken breast in the fridge. I decided to slice the chicken into strips and slice the nice piece of beef tenderloin I had into a few steaks perfect for quick grilling. A spinach salad always goes perfectly with a steak. It was fast and easy and perfectly seasoned and tender. Big Pete would never say no to this for dinner and it's low carb.

Come on! today is a perfect day for a Barbeque! Make it happen!

You will need:


  • a couple of steaks (I bought a piece of beef tenderloin from my favourite meat market and sliced it)
  • 1 chicken breast
  • 3 cloves of garlic crushed
  • 2 tbsp grated onion
  • 4 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
  • 1 tbsp fresh rosemary -chopped fine
  • 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 tsp garlic chili paste 
  • 1 tbsp mustard 
  • good course sea salt
  • fresh cracked pepper
Salad

  • baby spinach (I buy a small bag and it is perfect for 2 people)
  • olive oil
  • 2 tbsp raspberry balsamic vinegar
  • 1 tbsp lime juice
  • 1 tbsp honey
  • salt/pepper
  • 2 tbsp sliced almonds- toasted a couple minutes in a pan


Step 1: make the marinade/steak topping. In a small bowl add crushed garlic, grated onion, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, fresh rosemary, Worcestershire sauce, garlic chili paste, mustard, salt and pepper. Mix and set aside.



Step 2: slice beef tenderloin into slices. (or buy steaks already cut)


Step 3: slice chicken breast into strips and add a tbsp or so of the marinade to coat. Set aside.


Step 4: prepare salad dressing. In a small jar add olive oil, raspberry balsamic vinegar, lime juice, honey, salt and pepper. Put lid on jar and shake to emulsify. Set aside.

Step 5: wash and spin dry the baby spinach and place in a large bowl.


Step 6: Light the grill. I like to start the steaks on hot and then turn it down. These are tender and thin so they only take a minute or a few on each side.  Once they are on the grill baste with some of the marinade/topping. If you save just a bit you can drizzle over cooked steaks.

Step 7: While the grill is heating I sprinkle on a bit of good sea salt and fresh cracked pepper. I have used some smoked sea salt on these steaks. It is a very strong salt and smells just like a wood fire. I think steaks with lots of black pepper are wonderful. I rub a bit of olive oil all over the steaks since they have no fat I don't want them to stick to the grill.



Step 8: when the steaks come off the grill I let them rest while I toss the salad and top with almonds. If you save a bit of the marinade you can drizzle/spoon over the cooked meat although just a bit more salt and pepper is also perfect.

Heaven!


Comments

Popular Posts