Hot Chili Condiment




Lately, I have been crazy for hot chilies. I am not normally someone who is a chili head but, maybe I am changing with old age! I understand why some people just go nuts for them. This recipe is a medium heat however, you could use habaneros or other extremely hot chilies to kick it up a notch.

You can add this condiment to burgers, stir fry dishes, eggs or mix in mayonnaise as a topping. You can use it when you want some added heat and flavour. I use it all the time and it keeps for ages in the fridge.


You will need:

  • a variety of chilies
  • 3-4 green onions
  • a handful of fresh cilantro
  • 1 tbsp sugar
  • 2-3 cloves fresh garlic
  • 10 cloves roasted garlic
  • olive oil
  • lime juice
  • salt

Step 1: take a variety of hot chili peppers and place on a baking sheet. Drizzle with a bit of olive oil and add some garlic cloves. 


Step 2: roast them at 375 degrees F for approx 10 minutes. I don't want them completely cooked. I just want to be able to peel some of the skins but, I still want some of the peppers somewhat raw. In fact you can do this recipe with raw chilies.


Step 3: I remove the stems and seeds and peel some of the chilies with the tougher skins. If it doesn't peel then leave it and toss in the food processor along with the roasted garlic, fresh garlic, green onions, cilantro, sugar, lime juice and salt. Process until fine.



Pour into a covered container and top with olive oil. Keep in fridge and add to anything you like.  You will be amazed at how often you will use it when you know it's there.




Comments

Popular Posts