Pistachio and Pomegranate Salad


The other day when I was grocery shopping I found this package of mixed greens called Superfood blend. It was baby kale, spinach and Swiss chard and I thought I should try it. I added some romaine and some nuts and cheese and a sprinkle of pomegranate and made a great salad. It looked like Christmas with all the greens and reds. Hmmm? maybe I will serve it on Christmas eve this year.

You will need:


  • 2-3 handfuls of your favourite blend of greens- I used Superfoods (baby kale, spinach, chard and romaine)
  • 1/4 cup toasted pistachios (or whatever nut you like)
  • 1/2 cup pomegranate seeds
  • 1/4 cup of goat cheese or boursin or fontina- chopped or crumbled (this would also be good with blue cheese)
  • 3 white button mushrooms -sliced thin
Dressing
  • 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
  • 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
  • 1 tbsp aged balsamic vinegar
  • 4 tbsp good quality olive oil
  • 1/2 tsp Dijon Mustard
  • 1/2 tsp sesame oil
  • salt/and pepper to taste

Step 1: cut your pomegranate into quarters and then crack open to expose seeds. Remove seeds from casing and place in a bowl. If you can't be bothered you can even buy pomegranates in the store already cleaned.


Step 2: slice your cheese or crumble if you are using goat cheese or Boursin (a garlic and herb cream cheese that I have rolled in my hands to make tiny balls) Slice mushrooms. Place your salad in a bowl. In a dry pan toast your nuts for 2-3 minutes to crisp up and bring out the natural oils. (I store my nuts in the freezer to prevent them from going rancid so toasting warms them up and brings them back to life!)


Step 3: in a small glass jar (mine is one I had some artichokes in) mix your ingredients for your dressing. Shake and set aside. At the last minute before serving add some dressing (not too much) to your greens and mix with your hands (if you don't want to then use some tongs!) 


Step 4: divide your salad to both plates. Sprinkle the nuts, cheeses and pomegranates on top. Give it a sprinkle of salt and pepper and enjoy.



Comments

Popular Posts