This is a wonderful hearty salad. It is a perfect lunch that will keep you satisfied for the whole afternoon. It has tuna and beans and lots of fresh crunchy vegetables. The dressing is fresh orange juice, apple cider vinegar and lots of fantastic olive oil to balance the citrus. You can easily replace the orange for lemon and use the quantities as a guide. If you prefer more tomatoes add them, if you want to add some avocado feel free.
You will need:
This is perfect for two people but you can easily double for a larger group.
- 1 can of good quality tuna - mine is a wild caught sustainable variety
- 1 14 oz. can of cannellini beans - strained and rinsed with cold water.
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1/2 cup sliced red or yellow pepper (or both!)
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 2 stalks celery -thinly sliced - I also chop some of the tender yellow leaves
- 1/2 apple - sliced thinly
- 1/2 English cucumber - peeled and sliced
- 2 spring onions - chopped fine
- 2 cups of soft buttery lettuces - to serve as a base for the salad to go on top.
- 1/2 orange juiced - equals 1/4 cup juice
- 3 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup good olive oil (use more to finish) - I used TerraLiva from Sicily, Italy
- 1/2 tsp sea salt (beans need salt!)
- 1/4 tsp fresh cracked pepper
- squeeze of lemon on top to serve.
Step 1: gather all your ingredients.Use quality ingredients find what is fresh. Invest in good oils and vinegars they will last and they make a big difference! In a large bowl add your drained tuna and your rinsed beans.
Step 2: Chop the red onion, the sweet peppers, Italian parsley, celery and celery leaves, apple, English cucumber and spring onions. Add each item to the bowl with beans and tuna.
Step 3: add orange juice, apple cider vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper. Mix and taste it and if it needs more salt and pepper or oil add it.
Serve on top of some of the buttery lettuce with a squeeze of fresh lemon and another drizzle of olive oil.