It is the first snow of the season today and this is the perfect meal! This is a filling vegetable packed soup. Hearty and satisfying on a cold evening. A slice of crusty bread and you have a very good meal.
You will need:
- 2 slices bacon/pancetta or smoked turkey
- 1 small onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp chopped parsley and basil combination
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 celery stalks-sliced
- 2 carrots-sliced
- 1 leek
- 5-6 small potatoes - sliced
- 1 litre chicken/beef or vegetable broth
- 2 small fresh tomatoes
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning spices
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 cup orzo or small pasta
- 1 14oz can of white beans - rinsed
- 3 brussel sprouts-sliced
- 1 tbsp chopped parsley
- 1 tbsp chopped basil
- 2 tbsp olive oil
Step 4: add sliced carrots, leeks, potatoes and cook another 5 minutes.
Step 5: add chicken broth.
Step 6: puree tomatoes in food processor.
Step 7: add tomatoes, salt, pepper, Italian seasoning, and bay leaves. Cook
Step 8: rinse beans, chop brussel sprouts, kale and more basil and parsley. I placed herbs in a small bowl with some a bit more great extra virgin olive oil.
Step 9: in the last 10 minutes before serving add remaining ingredients. Taste and adjust salt and pepper if necessary.
Prepare to feel warmed!!