This is a perfect appetizer for a hot summer evening. Serve it with rice crackers or tortilla chips. The fresh tastes of a salsa and the fresh halibut served like a poke or ceviche. Fresh and delicious they will devour this one!
You will need:
- 1/2 cup of small diced fresh halibut
- 1 tomato - chopped into small dice
- 2 tbsp finely chopped onion
- 1 tbsp finely chopped jalapeno
- 1 tbsp chopped cilantro
- 1 ripe avocado - chopped into small dice
- 1 clove garlic - chopped fine
- 4 tbsp mild extra virgin olive oil -I used Domaine Oltremonti
- 1 lime zested and juiced
- 1 tsp hot sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
Step 1: chop halibut and place on paper towel to absorb any additional water while chopping all other ingredients.
Step 2: chop all other ingredients.
Step 3: place fish in a small dish. Zest 1//2 lime and juice entire lime over fish. Drizzle 2 tbsp olive oil and mix. Cover and let stand in fridge for 1 hour to almost cook tender fish in the acid. You can also add some salt here if you want a firmer fish.
Step 4: mix all ingredients together, add extra olive oil and salt and pepper. Adjust as necessary. Serve with chips/crackers and a tequila cocktail.