Olive Oil Crepes with Lemon and Honey


You make the batter in your blender and it can be left in the fridge overnight. Next time you want crepes for breakfast make the batter the night before and then you just cook them when you get up. You can serve them simply with a drizzle of honey and a squeeze of lemon or spread on some of your favorite jam, a smear of Nutella or fill with berries and cream. I love these even more because instead of using butter I use a mild, buttery, gorgeous extra virgin olive oil from my friend Emilie in Corsica.

I dare you to use a beautiful quality mild olive oil and see if they don't taste just as delicious as butter and they are also much better for you!

You will need: 
* recipe makes 9-10 crepes

  • 3 large eggs
  • 1 tbsp vanilla sugar
  • a pinch of salt
  • 3 tbsp mild extra virgin olive oil - I used Domaine Oltremonti from Cosica, France
  • 1 1/2 cups milk (any kind you prefer)
  • 1 cup flour
  • more olive oil for cooking
fillings can be:
  •  honey or sugar and lemon juice
  • Nutella or grated chocolate -your favorite kind
  • jam or marmalade
  • fresh berries and whipped cream

Step 1: gather and measure all your ingredients


Step 2: toss everything in a blender and blend for 20 seconds until smooth. Leave the batter for 15 minutes at room temperature if you are making them right away or cover and leave in the fridge for the next morning. I like to leave the batter in the blender because it is easy to pour in the pan.


Step 3: heat up a crepe pan (I think this is a great investment and makes easy cooking but, you can use a non-stick pan as well. Add a tsp of olive oil.


Step 4: pour in approx 3/4 - 1 cup of batter in your pan (depending on the size you want) and immediately swirl the batter all around the pan to spread the batter evenly. You need some olive oil or butter to brown the crepe properly and also so when/if you stack them they do not stick to each other. Hey! it's olive oil don't be afraid! Once there is some browning around the edges run a spatula around  to loosen and then flip. I like this tool for flipping but, you can use a wider spatula if you prefer. The first one is always a test to see how hot your pan is and to test your skills. 
Continue on to use all the batter. 


A drizzle of lemon and honey, then roll up or fold in quarters and serve. I have to admit this one is my favorite!


I had some tiny packs of Nutella so I had to!! Hey, Nutella is 50 years old this year and they gave out free packages in my mail!! This reminds me of childhood!


Saskatoon berry Jam (a local thing!) Tart and sweet.


Enjoy with a nice cup of coffee!!










Comments

Popular Posts