Sunday, 19 February 2012

Easy Tomato Soup

As a kid I never liked tomato soup. It always came from a can and it was too thick for me. I like tomato soup now because it is fresh with basil and parsley and tastes nothing like the stuff from a can.

You will need:



  • 2 containers of cherry tomatoes
  • olive oil
  • 1 clove garlic
  • fresh basil
  • fresh parsley
  • fresh thyme
  • 1 box chicken/vegetable broth
  • salt/pepper
  • 1 tbsp sugar



Step 1: on a baking sheet with parchment paper place tomatoes, parsley, basil, thyme garlic, salt and pepper
roast in oven at 375 for 20-30 minutes


Step 2: once the skins have popped and blistered and some of the juice is starting to come out remove from oven and put into blender to puree. You can strain this mixture to remove skins but i like it rustic and leave everything in.

Step 3: return puree of tomato back to pot and add approx 1/2 box of broth. Stir it and see if it is the consistency you like. I prefer my soup more on the thinner side but you can add less broth if you prefer.


Step 4: add 1 tbsp of sugar to offset the acidity in the fresh tomatoes. Cook 5-10 minutes more. Add remaining fresh herbs and any salt/pepper just before serving. Top with a drizzle of olive oil.


If you would like to add some milk or cream at the end this soup will take on a more velvety consistency.You can serve with a nice grilled cheese sandwich or some crackers.



2 comments:

  1. Went to a wedding and my grandson ate tomato soup for the first time and loved it, sooo I will be making this recipe this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I made this incredible tomato soup...I added a roasted red pepper and this will be a staple...thanks for the insiration.

    ReplyDelete