Pumpkin Doggy Biscotti



In the middle of one night, last summer...I heard a noise, like a scratch on the window downstairs.


Big Pete thinks I have bionic hearing like Jamie Sommers. (If you grew up in the 70's you watched the Bionic Woman and The Six Million Dollar Man every week )

 Jamie would put her hair behind her ear and then she would listen.......De,de,de,de,de,de,de,de,de (it made that sound too!!)

So, ......I go downstairs thinking something is fishy. I notice the motion sensor light is on and my hanging plant is swaying in the window outside . I look to the tree outside and notice no breeze. Either someone is trying to break into my house or.....I open the back door and look out and see a BLACK BEAR standing up at my fence eating out of my bird feeder!! "What the......I start clapping my hands loudly and running outside, chasing the bear. I am yelling to Big Pete who manages to look out the window as the bear is hopping the fence. He sits on top of my fence and stares at me for a few seconds before deciding to leave.

I think I heard him say " Hey Lady could you leave me a nice PIC-A-NIC basket next time!"

This is a sign we see when we drive to Whistler. When you live in BC you live in bear country. I learned last summer that you do not leave bird feeders up or else you are feeding the bears.


You can however, feed your favorite POOCH!!



What you will need:


  • 1 cup canned pumpkim puree (not pie filling-plain puree)
  • 1/4 cup honey
  • 3 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla (never use the artificial -it's made from wood!)
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 4 cups whole wheat flour
  • 1 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1/3 cup quick cook oats




Step 1: in a bowl whisk wet ingredients: pumpkin puree (any leftover can be frozen) honey, water, olive oil, egg, vanilla.


Step 2: add dry ingredients: flour, cinnamon, rolled oats. Stir with a wooden spoon until becomes too stiff. Dump mixture onto counter and knead until becomes a smooth dough and it no longer sticky. You may have a bit of flour leftover or you might need some more depending on the day/humidity.


Step 3: roll into log that is 2 inches wide. This recipe will make a 2 foot log so if you find it easier to work with a smaller piece cut in half. Press to flatten log.


Step 4: slice into thin biscotti


Step 5: bake at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes. Then remove from oven and flip over. Return for additional 15-20 minutes until brown. Let cool completely and store in an air tight container for a softer cookie or let dry exposed for a rock hard cookie.


 Your favorite pooch will love you!!





Comments

Popular Posts