Moroccan Mint Tea



My parents lived in Morocco for a short time over 60 years ago. My favourite sister was born there and  I have heard many stories over the years. My Father told me how they served hot mint tea everywhere. It is a symbol of hospitality and they drink it all day long. In Morocco making this tea is an art form and has many steps to perfect. My version is delicious and less work.

Moroccan sweet mint tea is usually a hot tea however, it is also lovely as an iced tea. Try it both ways.

You will need:

  •  4-5 cups boiling water
  • 3 tbsp loose best quality green tea (you can use tea bags)
  • 2-3 tbsp sugar (or agave syrup)
  • fresh spearmint leaves


Step 1: boil water and gather all your ingredients. Typically white sugar is used and they like the tea very sweet. I like it a bit less sweet and I also like to use agave syrup instead of sugar. Run hot water in your tea post to warm.

* you can buy agave syrup in any grocery store usually in the organic/natural aisle.



Step 2: You can put the leaves in the pot loose (which is traditional) and strain after steeping. I usually put it in a tea bag or ball for easy clean up. You can buy these bags that are open on top an you can fill them with any kind of loose tea to get a better brew. Tea bags are fine to use however, they are typically an inferior quality of tea than when you purchase loose. I have done it with both.


Step 3: pour boiling water over green tea leaves and add sugar. let steep 5-10 minutes. Strain or remove tea and pour in heat proof glasses with sprigs of mint. (remove mint after 5 minutes) If you want to serve this iced then steep tea 15-20 minutes then pour over ice and mint leaves.


Comments

Popular Posts