You will need:
- 6 chicken thighs cleaned and chopped or 1 breast
- 2 Italian sausages hot or mild
- 1 red and 1 green pepper - chopped
- 1 small chili pepper - medium heat
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion - sliced
- 5 cloves garlic - chopped or sliced
- 6-7 mushrooms - sliced (any kind you prefer)
- 1 small potato - chopped into small chunks
- beef or chicken broth to almost cover
- 1 tbsp fresh basil - chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley - chopped
- 1 tsp fresh thyme - chopped
- 1 spring onion - chopped fine
I made my own sausages by adding chili flakes, paprika, salt, pepper, Italian seasonings, fresh basil, fresh parsley, onion, fresh garlic and fennel seeds to a food processor, then mixing into ground pork. You can certainly buy good ones at Italian markets but since I don't have any nearby I make my own.
Cook chicken thighs and onions in olive oil on medium/high heat until seared and starting to brown. This may take 20- 30 minutes. If you are using chicken breast it will be must faster, the thighs cook longer until tender.
Add potatoes, garlic and broth almost to cover (don't use too much liquid or it will become a soup) and cook another 20 minutes until most of the water is absorbed and potatoes are soft. When I hear it start to fry again I add the other ingredients.
Chop all remaining ingredients. Add all ingredients(except herbs which go in at the last minute) and cook another 5-10 minutes. Add a bit more olive oil if you notice it is too dry or a bit more broth if you want it to have a bit of sauce.
Sprinkle fresh herbs in the last minute and serve with a drizzle of good olive oil and some crusty bread.