Big Pete and I like to have a vegetarian dinner at least once or twice a week. It helps to maintain our cougar like figures!You can use what ever medley of vegetables are your favourites. A final sprinkle of nuts and some sesame seeds and you have a beautiful and satisfying meal.
You will need:
- 1/2 -3/4 cup sweet red pepper- sliced thin
- 1/4 cup onion-sliced thin
- 1/2 -3/4 cup sliced mushrooms (any kind)
- 2 cloves garlic- crushed
- a handful of baby spinach- sliced into thin strips
- 1 stalk celery- sliced thin
- 1/2 jalapeno- sliced thin
- 2 scallions/green onions- sliced thin
- 1/2 cup baby zucchini -sliced into thin sticks
- 1 tbsp fresh cilantro- chopped fine
- 1 tbsp white or black sesame seeds
- 1/4 cup cashews
- 1/2 cup rice-cooked
- 1 heaped tbsp coconut oil/ or olive oil
- 1/4 cup light soy or ponzu
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp grated ginger
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp cornstarch to thicken slightly
Step 1: Slice and chop all your vegetables and get them ready to quick fry.
Step 2: I always keep my ginger in the freezer and I grate it frozen as needed. It last forever.
Step 3: measure out your seeds and nuts and prepare sauce by mixing all ingredients. Make sure to dissolve the cornstarch. You can use Soy Sauce or Ponzu - Ponzu is a citrus flavoured soy.
Step 4: prepare rice. I used 1 cup water. I let it come to a boil. I add 1/2 cup of jasmine rice, stir, cover and turn to low for exactly 20 minutes (never open the lid) After 20 minutes you can leave it covered until you prepare your stir fry. This amount is perfect for two people. Double it for more. Turns out perfect every time!
Step 5: Use a wok or just a large saute pan. Non stick works well. I use coconut oil which is really like a solid until it melts in the heat. Heat pan well and start to quickly cook vegetables. You want everything prepared because it goes fast.
Step 6: I start with the onions and jalapenos, fry a minute or two.
Step 7: add mushrooms, peppers and celery. Fry and stir for another minute or two.
Step 8: lastly add zucchini, spinach,garlic scallions and cashews, cook a minute. Add sauce and cook another minute. The cornstarch in the sauce thickens as it boils.
Serve over rice and top with cilantro and sesame seeds.