Cobb Salad


A Cobb salad or a chopped salad is a good idea when you have a little bit of lots of stuff in the fridge. They say it was created in the 30's at the Hollywood Brown Derby restaurant. It was named after the restaurant owner Robert Howard Cobb. Hmmm? I wonder if they called him Bob Cobb.

Traditionally it has certain things like avocado, chopped salad, chicken, bacon,boiled eggs, blue cheese. I just use whatever I have in the fridge. Make it your own signature salad with the things you like in it. I think it just needs to look pretty and taste yummy!

For my version 
You will need:

  • 1 chicken breast- chopped
  • green onions
  • cucumber
  • tomatoes
  • boiled eggs
  • lettuce- chopped
  • red peppers- chopped
  • green onions
  • baby spinach chopped
  • mushrooms- chopped
  • blue cheese-crumbled
  • 4 slices bacon
  • Swiss cheese- chopped
Dressing
  • 3 tbsp red wine vinegar/sherry vinegar
  • 1 tsp Dijon mustard
  • 1 small clove garlic- crushed
  • 1 tbsp honey
  • 4-5 tbsp olive oil
  • salt and pepper
Chicken
  • chicken breast
  • 1/2 lemon juiced
  • 1 clove garlic -crushed
  • salt and pepper
  • olive oil
OR grill it and chop it after it's grilled.


Step 1: I chopped chicken into cubes. I used partially frozen chicken because it is easy to cut into cubes. Add garlic, salt, pepper, olive oil and lemon. You can wait until it comes back to room temperature and then quick fry until browned. Set aside. You can also grill it and chop after it's cooked.


Step 2: chop bacon and fry until crispy. Set aside. I always store my bacon in 2 slices wrapped in wax paper in the freezer so I can always get just what I need.

Step 3: in a small jar mix all ingredients for dressing. set aside.


Step 4: start chopping! as you chop any ingredient lay in colourful rows on a pretty plate. Top with dressing and serve. Cleaning out the fridge never tasted so good. 



Comments

Popular Posts