Green Apple Coleslaw



This is a vinegar based coleslaw (Big Pete doesn't like the mayonnaise variety, don't ya know!) I like the texture very fine but, you can certainly make it chunkier by cutting the cabbage with a knife instead of a mandolin. When you make it very fine it is best served within a few hours of making it. The green apple gives it a nice tart and sweet flavour.

You will need:

  • 1 small cabbage (I have used green)
  • 2 carrots
  • 1 green apple
  • 1 tsp lemon juice
  • 2-3 tbsp apple cider vinegar
  • 3 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 tsp sweet mustard
  • 1 tbsp honey
  • salt and pepper

Step 1: slice a small cabbage in half and then quarters.


Step 2: make thin slices with a mandolin or a sharp knife. Discard the core.


Step 3: shred 2 carrots on a grater. 


Step 4: add dressing ingredients directly in the bowl. I have used apple salt (weird I know!) just because I happen to have a bit of a salt fetish and have lots of strange ones. 


Step 5: just before serving I slice an apple with a knife to get a slightly larger julienne, mix and serve.






Comments

Popular Posts