I love it when you cook your meat in a flavourful liquid and it just keeps reducing slowly until you are left with tender fall apart meat in its own sauce! Perfect.
You will need:
- 6 chicken thighs- I remove most of the fat and any scary bits.
- 2 tbsp regular store-bought balsamic vinegar (don't use the good stuff for this)
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp dry mustard powder
- 4 tbsp regular store-bought balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup chicken broth or water
- 2 cloves garlic - crushed
- 2 heaped tbsp chili pepper jam
Step 1: clean chicken and place in a bowl. Add 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar, olive oil, salt, pepper and dry mustard powder. Let marinate 30 minutes to a few hours.
Step 2: in a hot pan add chicken and oil. Saute on both sides to develop some browning.
Step 3: add 4 tbsp balsamic vinegar (this is in addition to what the chicken was marinated in) broth, crushed garlic and chili pepper jam. I used a jam that was mango habanero but, any hot chili jam is fine.
Step 4: turn down heat to low and let it slowly blip away and reduce. You can flip the meat from time to time but, let it slowly cook until the sauce reduces. This may take 30-40 minutes.
It's done when the sauce turns thick and sticky.
serve with your favourite vegetables and enjoy!