My sister Lydia made a baked omelette for me many many years ago. You whip the egg whites and then mix in the yolks and any fillings, then start to cook on the stove and finish in the oven where it puffs up. Serve with a grating of Parmesan cheese and a drizzle of truffle oil for a nice fluffy puffy omelette. Perfect for a Saturday morning around the newspaper and a mug of good coffee!
You will need:
- 4 eggs -separated whites and yolks
- 1 spring onion - chopped very finely
- 1/2 fresh red chili - chopped very finely
- 1 tsp fresh chives - chopped very finely
- a few slices of chorizo chopped very finely = 1/4 cup chopped
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp milk or cream
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar or 3 drops vinegar
- grating of fresh Parmesan cheese to top
- tiny drizzling of truffle oil
- your favourite bacon cooked the way you like it
Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
Step 1: separate egg whites into one bowl and yolks into another. Chop spring onions and chives and add to yolks.
Step 2: chop the chili and chorizo sausage. Add to a small pan and cook for 2-3 minutes in 1 tsp olive oil. Remove to a dish to cool.
Step 3: cook back bacon and set aside. (I add some maple syrup to the pan for the last minute of cooking)
Step 4: with a hand mixer whip egg whites and cream of tartar or vinegar for approximately 4 minutes until fluffy.
Step 5: add cooled chorizo and chilies along with salt, pepper and milk.
Step 6: add yolk mix into whites and mix with mixer 15 seconds until just mixed.
Step 7: heat pan on high and add 1 tbsp butter. Swirl pan to coat with butter and add omelette mix. Cook for 1 minute on stove.
Step 8: bake in oven for 6 minutes in oven.
Step 9: grate some fresh Parmesan on top and return to the oven 2 more minutes.
Serve with a few drops of truffle oil some additional salt and pepper.
Eat the Puffy Fluffy Omelette!