Flatbread can have whatever you like on it and is really like a long pizza. I like to have it with a salad piled on top or some fresh herbs. It's great as an appetizer if you are entertaining guests or just an awesome dinner.
What is not to like bread, cheese and other great stuff!
You will need:
Dough - makes 2 - 12 inch flatbreads
- 3/4 cup warm water
- 1 tsp dry yeast
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups all purpose or half whole wheat and half all purpose - plus another 1/4 cup for kneading
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 small onion - sliced and cooked on low in 2 tbsp olive oil for 20 minutes
- 1 tomato - chopped and cooked in 2 tbsp olive oil, 1 tsp Italian seasonings, salt, pepper, 1 clove garlic - cook 5 minutes until soft and some of the water cooks out. Let cool.
- 1 small chicken breast - cooked in 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar, 1 tbsp olive oil, 1 clove garlic chopped. Cook 5 minutes and then chop in small pieces.
- 1 1/2 cups grated Gruyere cheese and Parmesan mix.
- aged balsamic vinegar for drizzling.
Step 1: in a bowl add warm water, yeast and olive oil. Wait a few minutes to see if yeast activates. If you see it start to rise to the top of the water proceed to step 2.
Step 2: add flour and salt and mix with a spoon until it becomes too stiff to continue mixing in the bowl. Empty contents all out on your counter and knead with the additional flour until the dough is no longer sticky to the touch. This will take approximately 5 minutes. Let rise 2 hours until doubled in size in a plastic covered bowl.
Step 3: make toppings. To make carmelized onions add sliced onions to a pan with oil and cook on medium and then on low slowly for approximately 20-30 minutes until they brown and get sweet. Chop into smaller pieces once cooked.
Step 4: you can make a tomato sauce or use your favourite dip or sauce as a base. I chop a tomato and add a clove of garlic, some olive oil, Italian seasonings, salt and pepper and cook a few minutes. If you want it spicy add some chili flakes. Once soft you can leave to cool or chop to make it smoother.
Step 5: take chicken and add olive oil, garlic and balsamic vinegar and cook in a small pan. Let cool and chop into chunks.
Step 6: if you like sausage chop it up and cook with some hot pepper jelly until most of the water cooks out.
Step 7: once the dough has doubled divide into 2 and flatten out on parchment paper with your hands. There is oil on the dough so it is easy to spread even without a rolling pin.
Step 8: grate some cheeses - try something different!
Step 9: Top your flatbreads.
this one is on whole wheat crust. I have used a white bean dip as the base instead of tomato sauce.
Bake in a 475 degree F oven for 5-7 minutes. Serve as is or top with a salad.
Top with a fresh salad and a drizzle of aged balsamic vinegar or good olive oil. YUM.