Bruschetta


When you have some good tomatoes and a bit of fresh basil this is such a classic appetizer.
 Bruschetta is pronounced BREW-SKETA not BRA-SHETA its really normally just toasted bread with tomatoes squished on the bread topped with salt and maybe olive oil. Mine is a little more jazzed up.

You will need:


  • bread (I used a french baguette)
  • 2 ripe tomatoes chopped fine
  • 1 clove garlic crushed
  • fresh basil
  • good balsamic
  • good olive oil
  • flake salt or grey salt
  • pepper
  • fresh clove of garlic
  • fresh parmesano reggiano


This is the time you want to bring out your best olive oil and a good aged balsamic (but believe me any olive oil and any balsamic is still good.)


Step 1: in a small bowl add chopped tomatoes, crushed garlic, olive oil and pepper.


Step 2: slice and toast your bread. I slice my baguette on a diagonal so I get as much area as possible and then I put 2 slices in each slot of my toaster and just toast lightly. If you want it crunchier... toast it longer. If you have lots to do you can toast under the broiler in the oven (you need to watch it carefully -it can burn quickly) Once toasted and still warm I rub the bread a few times on one side with a raw garlic clove (no more than at least once over the surface area -it can taste too strong if you overdo it) 

Step 3: Drizzle good olive oil on bread..


Step 4: Top the toast with the tomatoes diving the mixture evenly among your sliced bread.


Step 5: add sliced basil, a drizzle of balsamic vinegar, sprinkle some course fancy salt if you have it (I used a grey salt)  and finally add a fine grating of Parmesano cheese.

My husband would eat bread dipped in good olive oil any day of the week, you give him this he is your friend for life!

What a start to a nice meal!


Comments

  1. Gotta tell you, I am remembering Bruschetta at Remezzo's and this makes my mouth water.
    Tell me more about grey salt and what makes it so different.
    As soon as we hit Florida and the tomatoes are ripe, I am making this for sure

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts