Mushroom Miso Soup in a beef broth.
You will need:
- a box of beef broth (you could use vegetable/chicken if you like)
- 1 cup water
- 1-2 packages of mixed mushrooms
- 2 tbsp of dried mushrooms (chopped finely)
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1/2 large onion chopped fine
- 4-5 sprigs if thyme
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 2 shakes of worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp miso paste (Japanese fermented soy beans available in most grocery stores)
* If you don't add the miso paste this soup is still very good.
Step 1: chop mushrooms, onions, dried mushrooms, parsley and crush garlic.
Step 2: add onions to saucepan and fry in 2 tbsp olive oil. Add salt/pepper and cook until starting to brown around the edges.
Step 3: add fresh chopped mushrooms and saute until most of water has evaporated and volume is reduced by half.
Step 4: add crushed garlic (in a garlic press) and dried mushrooms, cook for 1 minute. Add broth, water, miso and chopped parsley. Cook for 5-10 minutes on low simmer. Taste and adjust seasoning as necessary.
Step 5: serve