Grilled Teriyaki Salmon


Grilled Salmon with a light teriyaki sauce, brown rice and broccoli  sounds like the perfect spring dinner.

You will need:


  • piece of salmon  (mine is perfect for 2 people)
  • 2 tbsp Mirin (sweetened cooking wine condiment avail in grocery stores)
  • 2 tbsp soy sauce
  • 1 tbsp grated ginger
  • 2 cloves garlic- crushed
  • 1 tbsp honey
  • 1 tsp sesame oil
  • 1 tsp olive oil
  • 2 sliced green onions/scallions
  • 1 cup rice (mine is brown)
  • 1 bunch of asparagus
  • 1/2 lemon
  • optional* sprinkle of black sesame seeds







I have selected a piece of wild salmon. I always choose wild  because I think its a nicer fish than Atlantic but, you choose what you like. I wanted to show you this new product I found. It's a germinated brown rice and it cooks up in 25 minutes vs. regular brown rice which normally takes 45 minutes to cook. I think it's a great product because the rice cooks up quicker and it's nice and fluffy. You can use whatever rice you prefer just cook it based on package instructions.

Step 1: prepare rice. In this instance I used 1 cup of rice to 1 3/4 cups water bring to boil, turn down to low and cover. Cook 25 minutes, turn off heat and leave in pot until ready to serve.


Step 2: prepare the teriyaki sauce in a small bowl. I always store my ginger in the freezer where it lasts forever. I grate my frozen ginger right into the bowl and then stick the rest back in the freezer. Add crushed garlic, mirin, soy, honey, sesame oil, olive oil. Mix well to dissolve honey. 


Step 3: you can grill the piece of fish whole or I have divided into 3 portions. I leave the skin on. Marinate the fish in 1/2 of the teriyaki sauce for 30 minutes -1 hour.

Step 4: Heat the grill to medium/high. I put a piece of foil on top of the grill and place the fish skin side down, when I flip the fish the skin stays on the foil and then it makes for an easy clean up. Fish cooks quickly a few minutes on each side and remove.

Step 5: while the fish is grilling I take the washed asparagus with the bottoms trimmed and place it in a large saute pan with 1 tbsp olive oil and 1/4 cup of water. I cook on high for a few minutes stirring to coat all spears. Once the water has evaporated they fry a bit in the oil. I add salt, pepper and a squeeze of lemon.


Step 6: Top with the remaining teriyaki sauce, a sprinkle of black sesame seeds and the chopped scallions.


Comments

  1. As you know, my George has mastered the salmon.
    None the less, he will be away in June and I will make this version, black sesame seeds. HMM see if I can find them

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts