Cleaning your coffee thermos- TIP


"Housework is something you do that nobody notices until you don't do it"
-Unknown

This is my 12 year old coffee thermos from my ancient Starbuck's brand coffee maker. The coffee maker still works perfectly by the way.

I used to buy packages of descaling powder from Starbucks to clean the inside of the thermos. One day Starbucks stopped making/carrying it. I did lots of internet searches to find a natural alternative to whatever was in those packages. Every website said run vinegar through the machine to clean it.  The vinegar works well to clean the inside of the machine however, I could never find anything to clean the coffee build up inside the thermos.


Finally I found the solution! Mary Ann this is for you too. I know you have the same coffee maker.
 I wish I remember what website I found it on or the amounts so I could give them credit. Here is my recipe.


You will need:
  • 1/2 cup baking soda
  • 1/4 cup hydrogen peroxide




 You can buy hydrogen peroxide at the grocery store or pharmacy. I use a box of baking soda after it is finished keeping my fridge fresh. No sense wasting a new box. I take the used box and clean the thermos and then I pour it down the drain to clean that too. Don't forget to replace a new one in your fridge to keep everything clean and fresh and absorb any smells.


Step 1: mix baking soda and peroxide into a paste. Pour into thermos. Cover with lid and swirl and shake for a few seconds to have mix coat the inside. Leave 30 minutes.


Step 2: remove lid and with a damp cloth rub the lid to clean all coffee stains. Gross!!

Step 3: Use rubber gloves if your hands are sensitive. Rub the inside of the thermos/carafe for a few seconds until all stains are removed. It comes off quite easily but you do need to rub it. I clean the inside, the spout and the outside.


Before and after photos.

Looks like brand new. Not bad for a 12 year old coffee pot.

Dazzling! Mary Ann! Just dazzling!

You gotta try it.








Comments

  1. Well, I won't tell you how long it has been......
    I have rinsed with vinegar, but to see it like new? WOW!! Thank you! This method could probably be used for other things, pots/pans grills???
    Imagine the possibility!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It took me a month BUT, we did it and the coffee pot looks just like new.
    Unbelievable really...Thank You!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have learnt various good stuff right here, and I’m sure everyone will get advantage of it.check here

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts