Grilled Chicken Breast with Za'atar


Za'atar or Zahtar is a middle eastern spice mix typically with sesame seeds, dried thyme, salt and sumac. It's wonderful sprinkled on fish, chicken or even on bread with olive oil. It might be a bit of a challenge to find it in your regular grocery store but, it's worth the hunt. Once you try it you will love it.


My father-in-law gave me this cookbook from 1967. It's hilarious.



Nice plate of condiments


 This one is my favorite! the caption above the photo says: "string up enough frankfurters for the crowd and corral on a hanger. Broil to a T, then sauce all with one flip of the wrist.  Nice tool they have created with the hanger!!


For my recipe you will need:

  • 2 chicken breasts
  • 1 large clove garlic
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • Za'atar spice mix
  • 1 tsp grated lemon zest
  • 1/2 lemon juiced (grate the zest first!)
  • 2 tsp decent balsamic vinegar 
  • salt/pepper
  • 1 tbsp fresh parsley- chopped
  • 1 zucchini sliced lengthwise in approx 4-6 slices depending on size of zucchini
Salad
  • romaine lettuce
  • tomato
  • cucumber
  • sherry vinegar
  • olive oil
  • salt/pepper


Step 1: slice open each chick breast and pound between 2 sheets of wax paper to thin out and make the chicken an even thickness for grilling. Sprinkle Za'atar liberally on both sides of chicken.


Step 2: I find Za'atar in a speciality shop, it is worth seeking out. It has a nice mild, citrus flavour and is lovely with chicken or on garlic toast. Add crushed garlic (in a garlic press), olive oil, lemon zest, lemon juice, balsamic vinegar (I used one that was 8 years old) salt, pepper, parsley and mix with a fork to create the marinade.


Step 3: put marinade on chicken up to 30 minutes before grilling- not longer as the meat sometimes gets tough. Citrus juices can start to cook the chicken if you marinade too long. 


Step 4: Heat and clean grill. Grill chicken a few minutes on both sides on medium heat. This is pounded thin and cooks quickly. I have to tell you that if you are grilling you need a spray bottle of water handy. If you get flare ups you need to spray the flame out. There is nothing worse than those people (usually men!) who burn everything on the grill. No one wants to eat the food when it's burnt! Don't walk away these cook quickly. 

Step 5: I have also sliced a small zucchini and brushed on some olive oil, salt and pepper. Big Pete grilled the zucchini along with the chicken. I must say he always does a nice job and rarely burns anything! It's taken years to get him that good but, my training has paid off.


Step 6: I really should have made this step 1.Typically I chop my salad components and leave the undressed salad on the counter while I am doing everything else. Once the meat and zucchini comes off the grill I let it rest for 2 minutes while I add the oil and vinegar to my salad. Toss and serve immediately. A nice glass of pinot grigio makes dinner complete!





Comments

Popular Posts